Wednesday, 17 February 2016

The making of Velvet Ears

Social media can open interesting doors and make unexpected connections. I created this print last year, based on a photo taken by one of my online pals (whom I have never met in real life) of a puppy belonging to friends of hers. A few tweets gave me the permission of both the photographer and the puppy's owners to turn the image into a collagraph monoprint, and as a thank you the first two prints from the edition went to the parties concerned.

Although each print in the edition of 15 is made from the same plate, the image is created by wiping and removing ink in a painterly way. The results will therefore be slightly (or even greatly) different each time, making each print a monoprint. This is easier to show than to explain so I have finally got around to making a video of the process.

After giving away the first two prints in the edition, I put another one in the Taster Exhibition for last year's York Open Studios, where I am pleased to say it was the first sale made. Others from the edition are now available in my shop.


  1. Jane I am pleased to have come across your blog which I think is really good. I can identify with many of the things you are saying !!!

    I have signed up to receive new posts by email. Hope your art work is going well. It can be a little 'slow -going' getting going again after having a bit of relaxation after Christmas. I have been making some "stamps" today using cut out circles of adhesive backed craft-foam( You know how it is !)
    bye for now


    1. Thanks Aine :). It sounds like you're doing better than me in getting back into the swing of things. I have two prints I need to get designed today for deadlines, but am waiting for a visit by a gas engineer so it's hard to settle and concentrate! Working from home has both good and bad points....


I love to hear people's thoughts on this blog, but there may be a short delay before your comment appears publicly. Thanks for your patience.